"I forgot I had it in my pocket."
- The store detective will go home before officers manage to get his statement.
- The CCTV was broken.
- The member of public who actually witnessed the incident left the store without giving his/her details.
- The PC will go "No Comment" in interview as he knows the system and will play the odds.
- He will be bailed and will get the Federation on stand-by. Should the evidence surface, he can use the "I rescued people in the 7/7 Bombings and was traumatised" as a back-up defence.
- CPS advice will be sought and the decision will either be: "It is not in the public interest to prosecute a hero" or "There is a two second gap when the witnesses did not have the PC in view, so if he claims he put down the items selected and a person he has never seen before put them back into his pocket when he wasn't looking, we will have no way to disprove it." Therefore he will be NFA'd.
- In the unlikely event that he is charged and convicted, the Met will never fire him as they would have to justify this against the many rank and file officers they employ with convictions for drink-driving and assault.
Copyright of PC Bloggs.